A Wicked Scoff...Recipes and Food with Newfoundland and New England Influences.

This blog is dedicated to bring recipes, photographs, anecdotes, reviews and other insights on everything food related. As the name suggests, "A Wicked Scoff" will have a regional flare, a fusion if you will, of both Newfoundland and New England perspectives of the culinary world around me. Thanks for visiting and please come back often as updates will be frequent. Oh yeah, I also like tasting and cooking with regional beers. Expect a beer of the month, often paired with recipes.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Braised Chicken Breast and Pasta

About a week ago I was still feeling Italian, and in the mood to create a hearty chicken and pasta meal using ingredients I had on hand in the fridge and pantry. This is what I came up with. I had bone-in skin-on chicken breast, and I thought browning them off, adding some aromatic vegetables and braising it all in white wine and chicken stock would be a good idea.  I served it on farfalle pasta with fresh herbs and grated Parmesan cheese.For a side dish I took advantage of the bounty of asparagus we have right now. I wrapped the blanched asparagus in thin prosciutto, topped with olive oil and breadcrumbs and browned them in a hot oven. Here is how I made the chicken pasta dish. I though it tasted great.

In a large dutch oven, heat on medium-high:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil

Add 4 bone-in skin-on chicken breasts (seasoned with salt and pepper) and brown on all sides.

While chicken is browning, thinly slice
- 1 red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic

Once chicken is browned, remove from the pot, and add the sliced onion and peppers (add a little more oil if necessary) and saute until tender. Add garlic, 1 Tbsp of capers (rough chop) and return chicken to the pot. Deglaze the bottom of the pot with 1 cup of dry white wine and scrape all of the browned bits with a wooden spatula. Add 2 cups of chicken stock, 1 tsp of red pepper flakes and 1 Tbsp of dried Italian herbs.


Reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered (or partially covered) until chicken reaches internal temperature of 160 degrees (about 20-25 minutes). Sprinkle with freshly chopped Italian parsley and taste sauce for seasoning. Serve the chicken, vegetables and reduced wine/stock sauce over cooked pasta (I liked farfalle) and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and freshly cracked black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin